Physical Education, Sport and Games
Physical Education, Sport and Games are very important for each student.
· Our school is a health promoting school.
· Each class is timetabled for a double P.E. class each week.
· Students are offered a varied P.E. programme and have the opportunity to experience swimming classes, gymnastics, dance, net and invasion games, athletics, rounders, self defence classes, hill walking, orienteering, stress management and yoga.
· Games/Sports on offer include: Athletics, basketball, badminton, gaelic football, golf, hockey, swimming, tennis and volleyball.
· Students are entered in Inter-
· Many students in conjunction with the local Badminton, Tennis and Swimming Clubs compete in the schools’ competitions.
· Students compete successfully in Basketball, Gaelic Football, Badminton, Cross Country, Golf and Swimming at different levels i.e. Regional, Connaught and All Ireland level.
Our school St. Joseph’s Secondary School – known as "St. Joes "or "Mercy Castlebar "in the basketball scene, have been competing in the Mayo League and SBAI (Schools Basketball Association of Ireland) for many years now. With both a senior and cadette team we have been very succesful winning many titles.
Congratulations to Laura Fahey and Sinéad Griffin who competed in the World Kickboxing Championship in Croatia. A great achievement for Laura and Sinéad.